Jul 26, 2018
Today, we're going to talk about the patient, who makes you want to go home and have your own drink.
You get a page from the ER about a new admission. It's a 35 year old male patient with a past medical history of heavy alcohol abuse - he presents to the hospital asking for detox.
For every ETOH patient that walks through the door, Zach normally has a set of questions he likes to ask, depending on the patient's cooperation...
1. How long have you been drinking for?
2. How much do you drink on a daily basis? Is it daily or do you take breaks?
3. What is your drink of choice?
4. When was your last drink?
5. Have you ever been hospitalized for drinking?
6. Have you ever had ETOH withdrawal, seizures, or delirium tremens?
7. Have you ever been intubated in the ER due to alcohol abuse?
8. Is there any other drug use?
9. Why did you decide to come in today?
These questions will help you triage the patient to see what level of care they will require.
Today, you'll learn all about alcohol withdrawal syndrome.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel here:
This podcast should not be used in any legal capacity whatsoever, including but not limited to establishing standard of care in a legal sense or as a basis for expert witness testimony. No guarantee is given regarding the accuracy of any statements or opinions made on the podcast, video, or blog.